Smoke-filled house.

A firefighter exits the smoke-filled house.

A house fire in Weaverville on Wednesday afternoon, May 20, may have been caused by an electrical problem, Weaverville Fire Chief Scott Alvord said.

The owner/occupant, Everett Callahan, was not at the residence on Hawthorne Street, off Oregon Street, when the fire broke out. No one was hurt, Alvord said.

A cat died in the fire.

A neighbor, Wayne Mitchell, smelled smoke from the fire and called the fire department.

“Smoke was coming out the top, out the sides, everything,” he said. “We knocked on the windows.”

Those windows were very hot, said another neighbor, Charlie Carson, so they didn’t try to go in.

Firefighters arrived quickly, Mitchell said.

It appears an electrical fire may have started in the wall between the pantry and kitchen, Alvord said, but the insurance company will investigate. Most of the fire was up in the attic and the roof was sagging, indicating there was structural damage, he said.

Firefighters with breathing apparatus entered and put a nozzle through the ceiling to douse the fire.

Alvord estimated the older home and contents were worth $200,000, and losses to be about $150,000.

The Weaverville, Douglas City and Lewiston volunteer fire departments, and Cal Fire firefighters responded to the blaze.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.