Flames broke out at the Mountain Valley Pacific Floors & Gifts building in the Courthouse Square on Forest Avenue, Weaverville, at about 9 a.m. today. The business is owned by Larry and Elizabeth Horrocks, and the building is owned by Dick and Sandy Morris.  No one was injured. The fire was started in the roof when a roofing contractor's torch lit a bird or rat's nest on fire, said Weaverville Firefighter Scott Alvord. The contractor had been using the torch to heat the metal roof in the wet and cold weather so that caulking would stick to fix a leak. He pulled the metal back to expose the nest but then the fire took off, Alvord said. Although other structures are attached, the fire was contained to the Mountain Valley Pacific Floors building.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.