The Monument fire is estimated at 218,457 acres and 53% contained, Cal Fire and the U.S. Forest Service reported Saturday morning, Sept. 18. The Knob Fire is estimated at 2,421 acres and 100% contained.
* * *
The next public meeting will be at 6 p.m. tonight, Sept. 18, and can be viewed on the Shasta-Trinity National Forest Facebook page, on Zoom or by calling 551-285-1373 (Meeting ID 160 206 3120). Speakers during the meeting will include Incident Management Team members and representatives from the Shasta-Trinity National Forest. The public may submit questions before the meeting by email to email@example.com. During the meeting, questions submitted in the chat on Facebook will be answered.
* * *
Friday smoke lifted earlier than expected and winds remained light. This allowed aircraft to assist firefighters on the ground in the Cow Creek area on the northwest side of the fire and along Backbone Ridge by Stoveleg Gap on the
northeast. Four scoopers worked along the Hobo Gulch road for part of the afternoon, before being called away to assist on the River Complex.
Bulldozer line and mastication of brush was completed to prepare and strengthen contingency lines in the Canyon Creek area. Heavy mop up was completed to the west of Hayfork and there was black line added as that area is now considered contained. The fire’s edge is lined and was holding along Butter Creek to Grassy Mountain and back over to the Hyampom Road. The 20-acre fire started by the log rolling down into Miners Creek was lined and was holding. The contingency lines behind Trinity Village were being prepared and are ready to support structure defense. The line keeping the fire east of the road and down in Cow Creek was holding, with fire backing down into the drainage within the containment line. Mop up along the Denny Road and out toward the Dailey property was progressing successfully.
Overnight the forecasted increase in winds did not materialize and humidity recoveries were improved, allowing night-time tactical firing operations. A 30-acre burn to keep fire back from control lines was successfully completed along Backbone Ridge. Drones were used to burn and hold control lines down to Fisher Road to the east of Trinity Village. In the area of Miners Creek along Hyampom Road, the crews successfully mopped up the 20-acre rollout from a few days ago and had no additional burning debris rolling down the hill.
Today crews will continue preparing and holding fire lines, working when it is safe to do so in the expected wet weather. Suppression repair work is beginning in the Hayfork area. Firefighters will continue to work to hold the fire down in Cow Creek and to the east side of the Trinity River. Scouting will continue for containment opportunities along the New River and out toward Jim Jam Ridge.
Resources: 1,298 personnel, 27 hand crews, 87 engines, 10 helicopters, 15 dozers, 10 water tenders, 14 masticators, 2 excavators
The Knob fire remains at approximately 2,421 acres and 100 percent contained. Fire behavior continues to be primarily isolated low-intensity surface fire within the control lines. No growth has been reported as the fire slowly consumes unburned fuels within the containment lines.
With large fuels burning over extended periods of time and the steep, rugged terrain, big trees rolling downhill while burning, spreading fire as they roll is an ongoing concern. Moisture in both live and dead vegetation in unburned areas is extremely dry from the persistent drought conditions. All fuels are extremely likely to catch fire when embers fly in the wind or rollout occurs. Anticipated moisture could temporarily reduce some of the threat, though extremely dry conditions are expected to continue through the end of the month.
* Denny Road is closed at the intersection of Ziegler Point Road.
* Hyampom Road is closed between St John Road/Forest Service Road 10 and Lucky Jeep Trail (between Little Creek and James Creek.)
* Tule Creek Road at Jesse Road is closed to everyone except those with proof of residency.
* Big Creek Road, Soldier Creek Road, Barker Valley Road, Barker Creek Road, and Carr Creek Road are closed.
* Big French Creek Road and Big Mountain Road are closed.
* A segment of Highway 299 between mile post 7.4 (near Burnt Ranch at Berg Road) and mile post 36.3 (just west of Helena) is open to through traffic and residents on the following schedule: Monday through Sunday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., an escort vehicle leads traffic through the closure every 1.5 hours. Overnight, from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., the road is open only to residents with proof of address.
The following information was taken directly from Trinity County Sheriff’s Facebook page. Evacuation orders and warnings can be issued or change suddenly; if you have questions about evacuation boundaries, call Trinity County Sheriff’s Office at 623-2611.
* Order: All areas along Denny Road northeast from Zeigler Point Road through Denny proper to the Trinity Alps Wilderness boundary
* Order: All areas along Hyampom Road from Grassy Flat Road west to St. John Road. This includes Bar 717 Camp. All areas south of the intersection of FS Road 10/ St. John Road south to Sydney Lane. From Sydney Lane northeast through FS Road 10/ St. John Road to Oak Ridge
* Order: Intersection Tule Creek Road at Jesse Road, south along Tule Creek Road to intersection FS Road 31N31, west on Tule Creek Road/FS Road 10 to FS Road 7, west of FS Road 7 along Tule Creek Rd/FS Road 10 to Oak Ridge to FS Road 3N08. All areas along Tule Creek Road/FS Road 10 through Indian Valley. Roads and areas included are Land Acre Road, Mule Lovers Lane, Buck Gulch, Cow Gulch, and Tule Divide
* Order: All areas along Hyampom Road between Lucky Jeep Trail and Halfway Ridge
* Order: Helena/East Fork Road, Hobo Gulch Road, Big Mountain Road, and Big French Creek Road
* Warning: All areas along both sides of Hyampom Road from Lucky Jeep Trail east to Cedar Gulch, including Fox Lane, Drink Water Gulch, Phares Lane, Turkey Track Road and Doctor Lane
* Warning: All areas in Hawkins Bar and Trinity Village north of Highway 299 between Suzie Q Road and Gray Falls Campground, including Suzie Q Road, Denny Road to Ziegler Point Road, Lone Pine Road, Big Oak Road, China Flat Road, Flame Tree Road, Coon Creek Road, Pony Creek Road, Gray Flat Road, Emerald City Lane, and Ammon Road
* Warning: Canyon Creek Road in Junction City