A Weaverville man was still hospitalized early this week for injuries suffered when his cabin caught fire Saturday, Jan. 18.
The structure fire at the small cabin on Washington Street just north of Main Street was reported at shortly after 5 p.m.
The Weaverville Volunteer Fire Department and Cal Fire responded. There were concerns about a nearby structure and adjacent gas station, but firefighters quickly stopped the blaze burning on the inside of the cabin, Weaverville Fire Chief Todd Corbett said.
The occupant, identified by neighbors as Kevin Stewart, was flown out for medical aid by helicopter, Trinity County sheriff’s logs show.
“He suffered second and possibly third-degree burns but definitely second-degree burns and smoke inhalation,” Corbett said.
Stewart was reported to be in fair condition Tuesday at the U.C. Davis Medical Center.
There were witness statements that Stewart had gone into the cabin multiple times to try to retrieve his dog, Corbett said.
The dog Smokey is reported by friends of Stewart to be at the animal hospital in Weaverville with burned paws.
The fire started in the area of an old built-in wall heater, Chief Corbett said. “There was no evidence showing whether the wall heater started the fire or something too close to it started the fire.”
The flames spread to a couch and then the rest of the small cabin.
Corbett said the cabin was saved but there was damage to the ceiling, and the interior contents were a total loss.
A GoFundMe account has been set up to assist with Smokey’s medical and care expenses: www.gofundme.com/f/kevinampsmokey?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1&fbclid=IwAR0le5hcbNWww1eHz74FyYq2oDzRzABnHSXmH7j4UDH8VNkLQQ_x7KXM8h0. Donations can also be made directly at the Trinity Animal Hospital at 31 Ponderosa Lane in Weaverville.