The following facilities have closed to the public and events have been canceled due to concerns and recommendations regarding crowds and the new coronavirus:
* Schools closed starting March 17 (most for two weeks but check with your school): Burnt Ranch, Douglas City, Junction City, Mountain Valley Unified and Trinity Alps Unified. "Soft closure" announced at Lewiston Elementary with the decision up to the family. Many offer work from home options and still providing meals.
* The Golden Age Center and the Blue Barn in Weaverville will be closed until further notice. Those who normally go to the GAC for lunch can call 623-2324 to request a home-delivered meal.
* All Shasta College facilities are closed to the public effective immediately. Shasta College will continue working to move all possible instruction and services to online formats. Online instruction and services are scheduled to resume on Monday, March 30.
* Trinity County Sheriff’s Office is looking at ways to limit human exposure to COVID 19 in its detention facility. In a press release Monday, TCSO staff wrote, “As a precautionary safety measure for the inmate population and our correctional staff, due to the current public health concerns with COVID-19, the Trinity County Sheriff's Office is immediately canceling all visiting of inmates at the Jail facility until further notice.” TCSO Information Officer Josh Ford said the jail is looking at other ways to allow visitation which don’t result in face-to-face contact, such as with phones and tablets. The jail has also canceled its adult education programs until further notice.
* The Trinity Public Utilities District announced it has closed its office in Weaverville to the public and will emphasize its remote payment options and the use of its drop box. "We want to make sure that we protect our staff so that we can maintain the vital function of keeping the power on," TPUD General Manager Paul Hauser said.
* The Chagdud Gonpa Rigdzin Ling in Junction City will be closed to the public until the end of the month. This is a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of the Gonpa’s residents, visitors and the greater community of Trinity County.
Events canceled or postponed:
* The Trinity County Office of Education (TCOE) in collaboration with Trinity County Public Health has recommended a suspension of all athletic travel, home contests, and large, non-essential school sponsored events through March 22. Cancellations by schools that have contacted the Journal so far include: Trinity High School, all athletic contests and field-trip travel through at least March 22; Mountain Valley Unified School District has postponed sporting events and two field trips to colleges.
* ALL WDCPRD Youth Basketball activities are postponed, effective immediately. This includes all practices at currently reserved facilities, as well as alternate facilities, and games for all Divisions;
* Hammer-in at the Jake Jackson Museum March 20-21;
* Trinity High Drama's performance of "Jane Eyre" has been postponed until June. New performance dates are June 4, 5 and 6 at 7 p.m., June 7 at 2 p.m. at the Trinity Alps Performing Arts Center, 101 Arbuckle Court, Weaverville. All pre-show ticket sales will be honored.
* Benefit screening of "Uncle Buck" to benefit the local community food bank March 28 at the Trinity Theatre. New date TBA;
* Ascend Wilderness Experience's Mountain Prom, originally scheduled for March 28, has been postponed. Advance ticket holders may request refunds where tickets were purchased until March 28 or by contacting email@example.com at any time;
* Community Gathering for Community Change March 31;
* Weaverville Business & Professional Women March 31, celebrating 100 years of women voting with “Hear Our Voice.” Will reschedule in August;
* Lewiston Sparkies spring Chili & Chili Dog fundraiser April 5;
* Lewiston Garden Party & Tour May 9.
The following meetings have been canceled:
* The Trinity River Restoration Program's public informational meeting March 19 about the proposed 2020 spring restoration flow releases from Lewiston Dam and the Trinity River gravel augmentation plans;
* All Hayfork Timberjacks 4-H club meetings are postponed/canceled until further notice.